Press releases have long been an important marketing method for businesses. The history of the PR is well documented going back to 1906 when Ivy Lee wrote the first PR for the Pennsylvania Railroad. If you’re an avid watcher of Hell on Wheels like I am, then you know that news back then traveled rather slowly. A press release was the quickest way that the business could distribute information on a tragic railroad accident before anyone else could report it, as it could take days for a newspaper reporter to make it out to the scene of an accident.
An Oldie but Goodie
However, just because the PR’s roots goes so far back in time doesn’t mean that this method of marketing is an outdated one. In fact, it’s quite the contrary. PRs are still a vital source of news for journalists and writers around the world, plus they pack SEO benefits as well. The audience is ever expanding as well with social media and blogging playing such an important role in how people get and distribute news today.
One thing has not changed and that is the importance of a newsworthy topic. If your PR isn’t newsworthy, it won’t be distributed. Journalists today can easily recognize a sales pitch versus a news release.
10 Trustworthy and Newsworthy PR Ideas
Without further ado, here are 10 press release ideas that your business can utilize and take advantage of one of the oldest, but not outdated, forms of marketing available:
- Write about something “new” – new hire, new partnership, new website, new products. Anything new is always newsworthy.
- Special Offers – Are you offering free shipping or savings in a promotional campaign soon?
- New Content – Have you published a new eBook, new whitepaper, webinar or other form of content that your audience would be interested in?
- Have you been recognized? If you have received any sort of award or certification, it’s always good to let others know about it.
- Attending a conference or exhibition? Let your audience know of opportunities where they can meet you in person!
- Looking to do something cool like get your business recognized by a TV show? You can do it with a PR. In fact, this client did!
- New Research – Has your company performed a survey or conducted some sort of research that you can share online?
- Charity Work – Have you made a charitable contribution, done some volunteer work, or other charity? This excellent PR material.
- Major company changes such as “going green” or discontinuing a service/product.
- Financial news – Financial news such as earnings, going public or some other sort of investment information is always hot news.
Of course, once you’ve come up with your PR idea, you’ll need a place to distribute it. Words You Want offers PR distribution via PR Newswire. PR Newswire offers the best distribution services in the industry with packages in all price ranges. Contact us today to discuss what we can do for you.